OH MY GOSH! You guys cannot believe this!!! We made it through EDUC 250, well not yet but were almost there. We have one more official class day until we have our meetings with Dr. Parker.
I can truly say, all the frustration, sleepless nights and stress has been worth it. In our classroom for the month of April, we began presenting our lesson plans. For most of us, this was our first time actually teaching in-front of a class. I presented my lesson plan last week Wednesday. I was absolutely nervous. I made sure I provided a safe environment to the kids. (2a) I think my lesson was planned pretty well considering there was not much to do for natural resources. (4b) I do think I could have gave my students a little more time to do several things. Looking away from my lesson plan, I think we all learned from each other. As we saw each one of our classmates teaching to us, we saw the creative and different ways they chose to teach.
Last week, Dr. Parker brought in a student teacher to the room to present her student teacher portfolio presentation. As future teachers we all would have to be in her shoes one day. So therefore, I think it was a great experience to see what we have to look forward to. During Ms. Freeman’s presentation she explained her relationship with the kids and how she chose which students she chose to keep track of for the year. She mentioned she chose one student who was always on task and got good grades, another student who sometimes did well and her last student he completely was off task always. I think every student like myself was interested in her presentation. This was because right after she was done presenting she would become a board of education teacher the next day. She had got hired on the spot after her student teaching. That is amazing! I am pretty sure that is everyone’s goal to be hired right after student teaching. Therefore, I wanted to hear her journey and everything she did right.
Apart from the classroom, I decided since EDUC 250 was ending, it was time to do my own outside research a bit more. I started to research more ways on how teachers can lead the teaching profession. (1c) I found out teachers can attend a variety of workshops online and in person to help them gain more knowledge on a particular topic. Through this the teacher will gain insight on different ways you can teach a lesson. I think it is important to see other people’s ideas and examples because you can learn from it. Everyone has room to learn and receive more insight on something. No teacher is perfect. Therefore, I think it is important to always find room for improvement.
The other day I went on an interview for a summer job working with kids. A question that they asked me “how you would deal with diversity?” (2b) I responded, I will get to know each student one on one to connect to them. You cannot assume that each student is the same and have the same learning habits. You have to build a relationship with each student to show them that you are there for them and you care. “Teachers should consistently integrate culturally relevant and/or sensitive materials and ideas throughout the curriculum.” (2b) It is vital that you include each student and never leave anyone out. As a future teacher, I am glad that I am now looking on ways I can improve on bringing more diversity.
During the month of April, several of us volunteered at Union Elementary School. I was stationed at the flute straws area. I was by myself working with about 10-15 kids at one time. You could be working with one group when a whole new set would walk up to you and ask to join you. It was completely exhausting running here and there, but I did have so much fun. I am extremely glad I decided to attend the science night. It actually made me more eager to get in my own classroom. In my future classroom, I have to make sure I set a technique that will keep order within my class. This science night made me become stricter about it. It was only one of me and a million kids, so it is vital that this is implemented. Another thing I learned is variety of ways to improve my lesson plan and the way I teach. This can benefit my classroom by making sure students have a better understanding of the lesson. This can benefit me the future teacher by making sure I am giving proper feedback to my students whether they are right or wrong. For example, even if all your students are right you can still give them feedback by saying why they were right.
I have had an amazing run with EDUC 250! This class honestly took my heart and ran with it minus the stress. I cannot wait for what is in store for us next. I wish everyone luck on their journey!
Jasmine, well done! I loved participating in the science night at Union Elementary. The main thing I took away from the experience was just like you said. I have a greater understanding of the importance of classroom management. There is only one teacher and 20+ students in the same room. It was chaotic with merely one of me and 8-10 kids around my table, imagine twice as many! Though it was very chaotic, it made me excited to get in my own classroom and establish my own method of order. I hope you learn so much over the summer working with kids! I think it is awesome you were asked about diversity, even just for a summer job! I am sure you were prepared in how to answer their question thanks to EDUC250!
ReplyDeleteTime really has flown by this semester. I loved how you are starting to do more outside research since EDUC 250 is coming to an end. Thank you for sharing ways that teachers can lead. Teacher leadership is not only important in the classroom. Teachers should lead their school in many ways. I aspire to be a leader in whatever school I am placed at and wherever I end up teaching in the future. I also loved how you shared with me the reflections you made on your lesson plan. We are only human and always need and have room for improvement.
ReplyDeleteJasmine, I love that you got asked the question about diversity in your job interview! And your response really shows how much you took away from this semester! As far as your lesson goes, you had no reason to be nervous! Most of us were in the same boat and you did awesome :) I totally agree with you when you say we all learned from each others lessons. We got to see so many different teaching styles and methods that it made me reflect on myself more.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteJasmine! What a great perspective! I am glad that you have had a strong start in teacher education! Trust me, all the hard work will be worth it in the end!
ReplyDelete